Retired Section Swansea Docks

 

Next Page         Home Page  

 


Docks Railway.

The painting of a 28xx class at Burrows Sidings was sent to us by the artist Richard Picton
We thank him for allowing us to put it on the site


East Dock Railway Station.
On our site with the kind permission of the Rhondda Cynon Taff Library Service.
Visit their site from a link on our links page.

 

East Dock Station 1949. The monkey bridge crossing the lines can be seen on the left.
 

St Thomas side of the bridge into the dock ..( Known as the monkey bridge )


Dock side of the bridge.   ( The bridge spanned the two arched buttresses. )


Aerial view of the monkey bridge. It spanned from the main road to the wharf of Prince of Wales Dock.


Another view of the monkey bridge
Bridge in World War Two


The bridge was 465 ft long and 39 ft high We thank Robert Hopkins for his contribution


East Dock Engine Shed with St Thomas Church in the background.
 

"Entrance to Swansea East Dock shed 1963 / 1964.''
"N.T. Wassell Collection''.
Photo appears with very kind permission of Nigel Wassell
No unauthorised reproduction.
Only identifiable loco is
''0-6-0PT 6763.''

GW 2-8-2T at Swansea East Dock Locomotive Depot for SS6693

View northward, in the sidings on the north side of East Dock. One of several Locomotive Depots in the Swansea area, this Depot was the ex-GWR one serving the Docks traffic. Coded 87D under BR in the Neath Division, in 1954 it had an allocation of 35:- 3 2-8-2T, 7 2-8-0T, 6 0-6-2T, 16 0-6-0T and 3 0-4-0T: it was closed in 6/64. Collett 2-8-2T No. 7248 was a 10/38 rebuild of Churchward 2-8-0T No. 4249 built 4/16. The 2-8-2Ts and 2-8-0Ts were employed on the heaviest coal trains, mainly on relatively short journeys in South Wales but often they went much further afield into England. In the background is Kilvey Hill (632 ft.).

Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
 

Swansea East Dock railway yards, with engine-&-brake

View westward, towards the (former) Riverside station: ex-GWR and Rhondda & Swansea Bay Railway; an industrial scene between the Docks and Townhill. The engine with brakevan is Collett '4200' 2-8-0T No. 5221 (built 5/24).

Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

 

Ex-Swansea Harbour Trust 0-4-0T at Danygraig Depot

No. 1098 was acquired by the GWR in 1923, having been built by Peckett in 10/18, it was renumbered 1145 by BR and withdrawn in 7/59. It was another of the many strange Dock Tanks at Swansea. (See also SS6993 : Danygraig Locomotive Depot, with ex-Powlesland & Mason dock tank).

Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
 

Collett GWR 0-4-0 Dock Tank at Danygraig Depot

No. 1105 was one of the relatively modern GWR Dock Tanks, built 8/26 and lasting until 1/60. See also SS6993 : Danygraig Locomotive Depot, with ex-Powlesland & Mason dock tank

Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence


King's Dock Junction 1930s.


Burrows Junction Signal Box in the 1930s.


Swansea East Dock engine in  1960.


Ex G.W.R .  Pilots at Danygraig Engine Shed.


Danygraig Engine Shed taken in 1951.
 

Danygraig Locomotive Depot, with ex-Powlesland & Mason dock tank

The former Rhondda & Swansea Bay Railway Danygraig Depot at Swansea Docks was unique for its strange locomotives. No. 942 was an 0-4-0T taken over by the GWR in 1924: it was built by Hawthorn, Leslie in 1903, renumbered 1153 by BR/WR and withdrawn in 10/55. In 1947 Danygraig (DG) Depot (coded 87C by BR) had an allocation of 32:- 1 2-8-0T, 1 0-8-2T, 15 0-6-0T, 2 0-6-2T and 13 0-4-0T. of which no less than 13 were acquired (non-GWR) engines.

Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence


Danygraig Engine Shed taken on 24th of October 2008. Now being used as a chemical warehouse.

 

Shunter Alan Beynon pictured on the steps of the Down Hump Yard signal box in 1961
 

Pictured in front of Target 7, East End Sidings are, left to right, Shunters
Paul Dermody, Leslie Voyle and Viv Brooks



Traffic staff in front of the Kings Dock Junction Signal Box.  Brian Hunter, Alec Hitchings and Jeremy Figgures.


 Inside the Kings Dock Junction Signal Box.


Alec Hitchings inside the Kings Dock Junction Signal Box 1987.
 

Map showing the location of  signal boxes on the Kings Dock.

Map showing the location of  signal boxes on the Prince of Wales Dock.
 

 


 

Top of Page