Retired Section Swansea Docks

 

     Next Page     Home Page

 


 Ship aground at low water late 1700s


Entrance to Swansea Harbour in  1830


Swansea Harbour in 1852
 

The above extract from the Illustrated London News celebrates the visit
to Swansea in 1880 by the British Association for the Advancement of Science.

We would like to thank Pat Smale for kindly allowing us to photograph this item.
 

Below is an expanded section of the above print highlighting the new Prince of Wales Dock (completed in 1881)
on the right-hand side of the picture. The intense level of air-borne pollution from the numerous metallurgical
industries of the lower Swansea Valley can be clearly seen in the background.


The above engraving from 1865 shows the Sailors Home & Shipping Office on the left, and the Swansea
 Harbour Trust Office on the right. The map below shows their location in Victoria Road.
 

 

Map showing the location of the Sailors Home & Shipping Office and the Swansea Harbour Trust Office.
 

Old Harbour Office being demolished in 1964  (Photo taken from the Harbour Office clock tower)


Sailing Ships going down the river on the ebbing tide


People on the West Pier early 1900's
 

West Pier early 1900's


East and West piers in the early 1900s.


Two ladies out for a stroll.
 

A group of gentlemen taking a stroll on the West Pier
 

The West Pier before repairs were carried out


View of the Kings Dock in the early 1900s
 

Hydraulic Cranes working on 4 Quay Wharf


New road behind No.4 Quay, 1930s.


Swansea in the early 1900s


View of Swansea Docks in the mid 1920s.


View of St Thomas and the Prince of Wales Dock in the mid 1950s.


View of Swansea Docks in 1957.


s.s. Almond Branch at Swansea Docks celebrating the coronation of King George V in 1911. She was  torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UB 57 off Dodman Point, Cornwall on the 27th November 1917


Pier Head Buildings Cardiff 1906

 This was the regional headquarters for the South Wales Ports, including Swansea & Port Talbot, from the
 time the GWR took over in 1923 until the relocation of staff due to the redevelopment of Cardiff Bay.
 

Top of Page